Lateral Program Entry Requirements
Are you currently working as a corrections or law enforcement officer? Do you have recent corrections or law enforcement experience? Are you thinking about making a change? If you qualify, your experience could mean higher starting pay and you may not have to attend MDC’s ten-week academy. Consider a career with the MDC. We can help you with the transition!
Learn more about the Lateral Entry Program.
Lateral Program Overview
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Must have a High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
- Must have a valid New Mexico driver’s license. Out of state applicants must obtain a driver’s license within thirty (30) days.
- Must meet current hiring criteria requirements related to areas including, but not limited to, criminal history, driving record and employment history.
|Status of Application||Min Required CO Experience||Previous Graduate of an ACA Academy||MDC Academy||Hourly Pay|
|Former MDC CO within the last year||12 mo.||Yes||Not required||Corresponding Step|
|Currently working as a CO||12 mo.||Yes||Abbreviated||Corresponding Step|
|Worked as a CO within the last year||12 mo.||Yes||Abbreviated||Corresponding Step|
|Worked as a CO within the last two years||12 mo.||Yes||Full||Corresponding Step|
|Worked as a sworn law enforcement officer within the last year||0 mo.||No||Full||1 year CO for every 5 years LE up to 5 years|
- Birth certificate.
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
- Valid driver’s license.
- Certificate(s) of completion demonstrating 120 hours of training in a Corrections Officer Academy that meets or exceeds American Corrections Association standards or a training transcript certifying the same.*
- Valid employment references.